Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Ed Foster's Gripelog || No IE? No Can See

I've just moved over to using FireFox as my browser. I'll post a longer artilce on why, but for now, it's what I'm using, and using very happily. However, there are some sites that will not render unless you use Internet Explorer. See this post over on Ed Foster's Gripelog, titled "No IE? No Can See."

One such page, as Ed reports, is the Microsoft KB search page. If you try to hit this page with Firefox (I'm using v1.0PR), you get bounced back to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx. For Firefox users, there is a simple solution - just download the User Agent switcher extension, change your user agent string to either Opera or IE, and it works.

Some people might call this a bit of pretty lame programming - I'm possibly not as charitable. But, at the end of the day, given how much better Google is in terms of searching MS content, and how much better a browser FireFox is, I'm just not prepared to give up a far superior browser in order to use a sub-optimal search facility, even if it does allow Microsoft to show the huge numbers of IE-enabled users are hitting their site, and how few folks use FireFox.

No comments: