Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Root-Servers vs. the RootServers–a DNS mystery

I was working today with Nslookup running against the root servers to see what responses I got, and what the TTL times were for records retrieved were.  When I first tried, I got some really weird results:


This really didn’t make any sense – since when did the responsible person for the root servers on the internet devolved to Then I noticed the problem. Look carefully at the SOA I was trying to resolve. Retying the command with a strategic adjustment yielded success:


So the mystery was easy – my typing stinks. But if I can make that mistake, no doubt others might.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: