Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The PowerShell Book Is Complete

Since late last year, I have been working on a book. Titled  Windows Server 2016 Automation with PowerShell Cookbook (ISBN: 978-1-78712-204-8), it was finally completed and sent to the printers. The book is published by Packt Publishers.

It's taken 10 months to complete and we face some serious issues during the writing. We had been using a neat web portal, but it suddenly started 'eating' bits of code. It was a nightmare and cost weeks of extra effort to fix (and we'd fix it only for the portal to eat the code again). 

Then disaster struck in the form of my co-author having to drop out for personal reasons. This is never nice. I ended up picking up the extra chapters, but due to time, space and personal commitments, we did have to drop some of the chapters.  And during the final chapter reviews, we found that code that looked great in the Word Documents had been badly borked in the final PDFs (so HOURS or detailed proofreading). I just hope I picked up all the errors.

But it's done. The printers are doing their best now to print it, and Amazon is now selling the book. I have to say I get a kick out of seeing that page.

The code is planned to be uploaded to a GITHUB repository, so you can download and leverage it. This should happen soon!

So with this book done, my fifth, I am never going to do this again. Way too much work, way too many late nights and early mornings, way too much stress. Never again. But having said that, my super-star tech reviewer, Mike Robbins, has suggested another book. Hmmm.

In any event, let me know if you get this book and what you think!

No comments: