Saturday, September 30, 2006

Hate the Office 2007 Ribbon - Here's One Partial Way Out

I love parts of Office 2007 - Outlook is fantastic, and Power Point is worth upgrading to, But I hate the ribbon. I want a Classic Editionm so I can be productive and not have to figure out where the Office Team have moved things. I hate the ribbon.

I found out a cool trick today Control+F1 hides the ribbon. It's NOT a full answer to my hatred of the ribbon, but it does help get the Ribbon our of your face when you are just typing away. Of course, just clicking on a menu brings the Ribbon back.

5 comments:

Leandro said...

The same happens if you just click the tab of the active toolbar. Say you have the Review toolbar open, clicking the 'Review' tab hides the toolbars.

PS. I refuse to call a huge toolbar with a different name. It's just a tabbed toolbar.

db said...

guess what? - I found a way to KEEP the ribbon away. it's called REINSTALL Office 2003 and it's the best thing I ever did, next to being born.

Unknown said...

After a few months working with Office 2007 I still can't understand what they were thinking when they decided to get rid of the good old toolbars and menus.
The ribbon is not a toolbar, is much worse. You can control a toolbar, you can't make any customization on the ribbon.
It takes on average 5 times more clicks than with Excel 2003 to do advanced jobs.

Island Bookworm said...

Thanks for posting the CTRL-F1 trick. At least it keeps the visual clutter down. Can't wait for Office 2013 when they bring back menus and customizable toolbars...

DeweySwak said...

I'm an expert MS Office user, and I hate this ribbon interface. One reason I'm good at what I do is because I can go fast in the software. Those days are now gone. I hate this thing; it has negatively impacted my productivity. But Microsoft has hundreds of programmers to keep employed, so somebody decided this was the 'new way' to work.